Notching the 4×4 for the cross connection:
perfectly angled legs:
So today’s brew day was fun but a bit rushed… I went to brew and grow and got my grains and hops two days ago and made a slight change to the recipe hop wise, here’s the actual grain bill along with brew and grow numbers to make repeat purchases in the future easy:
B&G Item Number | Grain Type | QTY | Cost
510 Belgian Pisen 8 lbs $15.20
131 Wheat Malt 3lbs $3.75
119 Flaked Wheat 1lb $1.62
503 Belgian Cara 20 0.31lbs $0.59
423 German Melanoidin 0.26lbs $0.49
401 Acidulated Malt 0.39lbs $0.74
German Hersbrucker Pellets (2 % AA) 1oz $1.99
German Hallertau Pellets (4.3 % AA) 1 oz $1.99
Wyeast – Special London ESB Ale $6.50
TOTAL : $33.61
my starting mash temp got a little too high, but it cooled off quickly and got the final mash temp at target 156 degrees.
After mash was complete I fly sparged into Nick’s mash tun then started my boil…
Nothing remarkable during the boil, however at the start of the boil I added 1 oz Hersbrucker and 0.23 oz Hallertau to bring my alpha acid closer to 3%
Chilling went pretty quick…
Got the wort to about 78 degrees and pitched the yeast… My OG was a little low @ 1.050.
Now we wait…
Jon, I will email the sheets for these as well since they are all slightly different. I measured OG last night for batch 3 and it was 1.064. I set the software to 70% efficiency (standard) when I made the recipe so I *should* have gotten 1.066. That is close enough for me.
The different yeast strains defnitely impact attenuation. Safale-05 should give us 6.4% while ESB 5.9%